Wednesday, January 26, 2005

The End Of Hydrocarbon Energy... and World Sanity

Yes! The Peak Oil is estimated at 2007 or 2008. No car for me! With heightening demand for oil from China, and a bit from India, and increasing energy spending in developed countries already being a problem (mostly because of pollution, but that's only a fancy excuse for you not to go digging deeper), I can only assume the gasoline prices to skyrocket as soon as in 2006 already. You know, the USA grabbing what they can etc., I can see no other solution for a poor Slovenian but to go back to those weird coal-fueled trucks. Well I say no, me, I'm going to cycle! I'd be insane to buy a car now. The taxes and insurance are already high, the new road-traffic law is insane (you can be fined if your car is dirty, if you don't have a shovel in your car, if you drank any alcohol at all, etc., and the fines are high), and to add to that high fuel prices, I'd give a third (okay, less if I really watched over my spending and didn't trot around with the car unnecesarilly, but still a fifth minimally) of my salary per month away. Currently I pay about 5% of my salary for public transport.
Reminds me of a verse from a piece by The Doors, The End, that plays in Apocalypse Now while a nighmarish scene of war is shown: This is the end / Beautiful friend / This is the end / My only friend, the end. A great movie otherwise! I've seen some footage from Iraq that resembles the state of things as shown in that movie quite aptly, if you don't mind the absence of a jungle. I'm sure you've seen some of it. Or you're going to. Abu Ghraib, for example.
But I'm smart. I'm going to buy a couple of stoves powered by solid fuel, like coal and wood. My family owns a smallish wood. Not exactly a forest, but from what I can tell it's sufficient to keep one house warm through winters endlessly if some reforesting is applied continuously.
It's time to rejoice! Soon our overlords will lose the foothold in our lives that is the oil. Economies will crash and we'll all enjoy the beauty of a bicycle. And conspiracy theories! I'll have to go into publishing business. I bet then the newspapers with conspiracy theories will sell very well.
Hm. I can't get that thing with a shovel in the car out of my mind. Why do they suddenly insist on having a shovel? To burry the bodies? [Of animals, of course! You animal!]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home