Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Reality Bites?

My average walking speed is 6 km/h. But I like to walk at 7 km/h if I can. The speed limit in pedestrian zones is 5 km/h. For vehicles, lucky me. :]
The speed limit on cycling paths is 25 km/h. My "comfortable" cycling speed is 27 km/h. If the road is not bumpy, then 30 km/h. If the road is straight, level, and not bumpy, with no obstacles (traffic lights, other vehicles blocking my way, etc.), then I can maintain the speed of around 35 km/h. 40 km/h if I had a large greasy thing for lunch.
I speak faster than people can follow. I read stuff while people talk to me. I intersperse detailed commentaries/questions in the dialogue if I don't have anything else to do. Details. Makes people talk even more, unconnected. Makes me finish what they told me with a short scoop, concise if possible. Makes them rage. :>
I don't have a car because cars are boring. And if something is boring I don't pay full attention to it. So it makes me nervous. Trust me, you don't want me in front of a steering wheel. :] My driving instructor was asking me non-stop: "What's wrong with you?" Not me, driving is boring.
People like to present me with problems. Because usually I solve them, and I solve them quickly.
People don't like to present me with problems. Because they feel I behave too elitistic. I say it's utilitarian with a drop of humor. If it comes as elitistic to you, then you have a problem. Perhaps that drop of humor is too large and twisted for you. :]
I like to help. If you let me. I don't have a problem if you loaf. But don't expect me to do so, too. I'll slack off when I feel like it. If you asked me to help you and try to be funny while I help, you're off for a surprise. If your jokes are bad I'll simply ignore you, and if your jokes are good, I'll twist your mind like you've never seen it done before. If smalltalk is what you want, do so over a beer.
I admit, it doesn't seem as if I actually enjoy helping. But that's simply a reaction to the overall slow pace of the world, not concerned with details. It's like overclocking a CPU in your computer: you go too far and the peripherals start failing. I feel like this overclocked CPU. :]
Yes, I'm hyperactive. And I enjoy it. Do you? ;)

It's nice to be me. Can you say the same for yourself? Can you say this without having me for an ass? Can you say this without first thinking of blaming someone for something? Can you say this and wonder: "How shall I surprise the world today?" Can you really? If yes, wonderful! I love such people! If no, well, what are you waiting? It's only as hard as you want it to be.

Yay, that was some introspection. I don't usually do this. I was browsing through the Project Gutenberg's repository in search for some reading material. For almost a decade now I have this nudging thought running in circles in my mind to read Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. There's this famous quote from Mark Antony's monologue over the Caesar's body: "Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." But it's better understood in its entirety. Just imagine Mark and the dead Caesar on the stage, and Mark having this monologue:

O, pardon me, thou bleeding piece of earth,
That I am meek and gentle with these butchers!
Thou art the ruins of the noblest man
That ever lived in the tide of times.
Woe to the hand that shed this costly blood!
Over thy wounds now do I prophesy
(Which like dumb mouths do ope their ruby lips
To beg the voice and utterance of my tongue)
A curse shall light upon the limbs of men;
Domestic fury and fierce civil strife
Shall cumber all the parts of Italy;
Blood and destruction shall be so in use,
And dreadful objects so familiar,
That mothers shall but smile when they behold
Their infants quarter'd with the hands of war;
All pity choked with custom of fell deeds,
And Caesar's spirit ranging for revenge,
With Ate by his side come hot from hell,
Shall in these confines with a monarch's voice
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war,
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

In those days, when an army official cried "havoc" it meant for the soldiers to go out in a killing frenzy, chopping, slicing, knifing, etc. (you get the idea) everybody in their way, no matter who. Very brutal, very mass-murdering. So you can imagine what an energetic, furious, this monologue at the end becomes. Breath-taking. ;) Much like me, when overwhelmed with problems, only I kill problems, not people. ;>

But alas I got distracted again. This happens always: I find something that's more interesting. I found out they've got a few works by Tagore. I found Sadhana! And so, reading this, coupled with some observations I recently made, produced this blog entry. ;)

2 Comments:

At Thursday, August 19, 2004 11:30:00 AM, Blogger Dav said...

Dude you scare me sometimes. Then again I scare me sometimes so I guess it balances out. Tea pictures are up btw.

 
At Thursday, August 19, 2004 12:59:00 PM, Blogger AlesS said...

To scare people is my mission! Can't have lethargic people around me... where would the world be? ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home