Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Reset or Yawn

Remember that cake? I've made it. Wasted about two hours shopping for ingredients. I'm very picky, yes. Then I needed 2 hours to prepare all fillings. Bloody walnuts. And apples, geeez! And then over an hour to assemble it all together. And at the end of the day my mother called me up to check some legislation about wells. Ah. Thanks mom. It appears all private water wells have to be registered, the owner has to have a permit to use the water. Nutty. Not from the government's point of view: water is a public good and as such the state should have an overview over its spending. Yeah, clear as a fog. Why the hell the permit? If the state doesn't think your water well is justified or if it disrupts water levels or whatever, then you don't get the permit. This legislation came out on 10th August 2002 and all owners had 2 years of time to register. Only... Noone bloody knew anything about it! I was told, because of this the last few days there was a certain craze among people with water wells. You see, the request for permit had to be stamped rather expensively and you had to enclose a copy of the map from the land-registry clearly showing the water well and all buildings drawing water from it. Mom told me the info on how to request the permit is somewhere on the internet and I should find it ASAP. It was there alright. Inconspiciuously at the end of a page at the environmental agency's web site. In the bloody M$ doc format. Luckilly I had no major problems opening it with AbiWord under Linux. Only the formatting was a bit off, but otherwise I could read it all. At least they could've published it in the RTF format. Or PDF, if they really want to be anal about it. HTML clearly isn't good enough. Naturally I also wondered if the permit would be issued automatically, considering the water well is a few decades old. There was a question like that in the FAQ. In doc format, again. The answer was gibberish. It's like a thirsty man would ask you for some water and you'd tell him something lengthy on the topic of ecosystems and give him a sponge. Sometimes I really wish I'd have an awful lot of time to go around twisting government officials' logic and posting the shattered remains to the parliament. At least I'd feel good about it.
Electricity. Just on the day when I wanted to exercise my lips a bit, the cheap tariff times reappeared. Whatever, I won't bother for a change.
Work. At last I have a clear image of how that web portal should look like. At least initially. I also gained a gawdawful lot of knowledge about (X)HTML, CSS, DOM, JavaScript, and Python. Misplaced and with no commentaries. Now coding functions. On full throttle. Template parser in 20 lines of python code. Yay. Templates are the way to go.
Today I spent the whole day writing about Linux stuff for that beastie booklet thingie. But don't tell this to my boss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home