Monday, November 15, 2004

The Most Annoying Stupidity

Slashdot is having a poll on biggest work annoyance. I'm having a hard time deciding between stupid customers and stupid co-workers. I think I'll sleep over this.
I like this quote: Stupidity accomplishes things that the most brilliant evil genius cannot even conceive of.
Hey, want to know a stupid thing that happened today? I got an e-mail at 6:11 am telling me to log in to some computer and see what could be wrong. An application running there would break if you wanted to see what's on stock. But it worked, if you ran the exactly same application on some other computer. I logged in ummm... somewhere at 9:45 am (I didn't even wake up until 7-and-something) and the first thing I checked was which database it was connected to. Yes, it was connected to some old backup that was used for testing a long time ago. They failed to check this simple thing in all days since Friday. They were issuing hand-written bills instead. I won't even tell you what they've tried. Heck, I even don't fully know it. I even don't want to. But... I just checked it, it was the first thing I checked, and I found the mistake. Now. Am I über-smart, or is everyone else just stupid?
Why was their first assumption that the application had a bug? An inconsistent one at that, since it worked flawlessly on other computers. Why did they reinstall almost everything and didn't even check the friggin' configuration? Even after it was obvious the application was correctly (re)installed and set up? What's wrong with those people? And most important: who and why changed the database connection?

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, November 16, 2004 9:03:00 AM, Blogger AlesS said...

But that's it. I find solutions too quickly. It's a challenge for me if you give me something terribly complicated to do, something people don't even want to dedicate any time to think it over because by some divine inspiration it's so damn obvious to them this stuff is to be given to some poor idiot to lose his nerves over instead. Not this crap even babies could solve. My brains didn't even start, it was a sort of a reflex, like climbing on a bicycle. I didn't even start driving it. And these kind of things are happening far too often. A few times a day, on a bad day. It breaks my concentration. I'm not a service for people that don't even want to run the situation through their minds! There are far more interesting things for me to do, than to save the day for someone that just cries: "This is not my job!" when anything goes wrong. I feel like a babysitter. With tasks that take ages for me to do because of those nincompoops. I used to write a damn cool thing in a damn cool way in only a few days, perhaps even in one day. Now it takes me weeks.
I think I understand the God, or whatever divine being you submit to. Who in his/her right mind wants to deal with petty stuff of other people? If I were God, I'd leave Earth in an isolated place of universe to serve as a warning for other worlds.
Oh. And I can always become my own boss. Just drop enough shit on my head.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home